Streaming Wine tastings
There exist many services on internet, which help the user to manage his wine cellar. It is hard to determine what is a good service. I tend to go with CellarTracker as it seems to have a large database of wines.
In order to get an overview of possible applications, I had a look in the Home&Learning; category of the downloads section at Apple. And I had a look at the wine tag at iUseThis. I found the following applications:
- Cadent wineCellar has a very weird user interface, very unmac like. I am not even interested in downloading it;
- MacGourmet has an option to record wines and tasting. It is however not a full featured wine app;
- mi-wine(m) - I aborted the installation of this application right away. The installation procedure was already un-mac like. No hope for the rest;
- OpenCellar is a Java-based application, so I will not have a look at it;
- Vinoteka looks like a very interesting application. I like the integration with CellarTracker. Unfortunately there is no export option to tab-delimited format. However I will keep an eye on this one;
- Weinkeller is to basic and has not been update for more than a year;
- Wine XT is my standard wine application for a very long time. I miss a method for publishing, integration with an Internet wine database and most of all an export function. However it is still my preferred wine cellar application on the mac.
There are several applications on the iPhoneOS that support wine tastings. Cor.kz looks interesting as it has integration with CellarTracker. I noticed wineSnob, OpenCellar, Drync. And there are many apps that help you to buy a wine.
In conclusion, there is no service/application/app combo that fits my bill. For the moment I continue with CellarTracker, Cor.kz and WineXT.